Team Challenge!

Standard

I am so excited to share with you all that I have signed up for Team Challenge, the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America’s (CCFA) half marathon training program.  Over the next 16 weeks, I will be putting my body to the test and training for the Virginia Wine Country half marathon to benefit Crohn’s & colitis research. The race takes place in Loudoun County, VA on June 4th.

For those of you who don’t know what Crohn’s or colitis are, they are both extremely painful, seldom discussed and often isolating digestive diseases that often lead to a ridiculous amount of doctors visits, extended hospitalizations, and surgery.  The psychological effects that these diseases have on patients is sometimes worse than the physical pains (which are excruciating).  As of right now, there is no cure.  In fact there is still very little known about these diseases.  20% of Crohn’s & colitis patients have a genetic component that caused the disease.  The other 80% have no clue where it came from.  The worst part is, you can be diagnosed at any time.  Although most patients are diagnosed between the ages of 15 and 35, a baby was diagnosed at 3 months, and a woman was diagnosed in her 50’s.  Imagine trying to eat and not know how your body is going to react to what you’re consuming.  Imagine trying to plan your life around the nearest restroom.  Imagine having to be bed ridden for days missing class, or work because every move you makes you scream in agony.  Unfortunately, this is what over 1.4 Million American’s have to live through over and over and over again.

Like I said before, running a half-marathon and donating to a good cause will be life changing for me.  However the fundraising for this endeavor will be just as big of an accomplishment as will be crossing the finish line.  I cannot express how important this is to me however if I don’t raise at least a good portion of the $3,500 I need to by mid April I will have no choice but to back out and not be able to participate in the race.  However all of the money that I did raise would still of course go directly to CCFA.  So I sincerely thank you for your support as I take on this challenge!

All of your donations are 100% tax deductible.  With the amount of funds the CCFA contributes to research, every dollar has the chance to be the dollar that finds a cure, or at least the next medical treatment!  No donation is too small (or large, haha!).

For your convenience, you may donate using your credit card on this secure website:

http://www.active.com/donate/virginia11neohio/OHIOASocrat

Thank you so much! With your help we WILL find a cure for all Crohn’s & colitis patients!

Advertisements

5 responses »

  1. Thank you for raising money for Crohn’s. My boyfriend has it and actually just had a flair up last night – hoping to stay out of the hospital and treat it with anti-biotics. I can’t imagine having pain from eating most foods. I will be back soon to donate, and I will pass this along to friends!! Thanks again.

  2. Not to mention your Mom, who has dealt on and off for years with what was first diagnosed as Crohn’s, and just recently had 2 separate hospital stays that still had a specialist scratching his head and sending her to the Cleveland Clinic. Now dealing with digestive issues on a daily basis. Face it, your “gut” is the most important organ, next to your heart. They know what causes heart disease….but to deal with something that they have no idea what the cause and what the cure! The time to deal with it is now!! Show the Luv!!!

  3. Pingback: I love my wiener…. | Constantly Unwinding's Blog

  4. Pingback: Happy Birthday to…. | Constantly Unwinding's Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s